Saturday 8 August 2009

Review: Walking With Dinosaurs, The O2


dd-aug13-dino.jpg

LIVE SHOW
Walking With Dinosaurs, The O2
4/5

IN A NUTSHELL
Full of life, grace and electronic wizardry, dinosaurs walk the earth again in the greatest show on prehistoric earth.

REVIEW
If I were my 11-year-old self I would want nothing more than to visit Jurassic era. If not, I would plump for Jurassic Park. If denied twice, third on my list would be to see Walking With Dinosaurs which would be far the most practical of the options, but no less awe-inspiring to a mind lassoed to a runaway imagination.

A ticket in my hand would see me quite unable to contain my excitement and my nine-year-old self would be frequently chastised for babbling incoherently about things prehistoric and charging chaotically around the house oblivious to the sharp edges of the coffee table.

I would camp out overnight for tickets. I wouldn't need to, because tickets would be available online, but my nine-year-old self would find camping out way more exciting. I would camp in the back garden, so it would not help ticket procurement greatly, but the shadows on the tent wall could be an unwieldy stegosaurus grazing on mum's daffs.

The day after I saw the show (ie, today) my nine-year-old self would dust down his masterwork The Lost Land of the Dinosaur and begin again where I left off, Part IV, Chapter 107 but, unable to contain my excitement at the magical spectacle I had witnessed the night before, and threatening to ruin the illustrations by colouring over the lines, my nine-year-old self would go into the garden and run round the rotary washing line for four hours until the adrenaline subsided.

The O2 was full of children, with their helium dino balloons and whirring dino colour fans, wildly excited, whipped up by parents asking them to gauge precisely how excited they were and would they sit back in their chairs as they were spilling their orange juice.